Tooth Cleaning | Dental Cleaning
Prevent Tooth Loss & Gum Disease with professional tooth cleaning. Achieve a healthy mouth, brighter whiter Smile and fresh breath.
Tooth Cleaning | Dental Cleaning in Houston TX
Tooth cleaning is a professional cleaning you receive from a dentist or dental hygienist. Most Tooth cleanings take approximately 30 minutes and it is recommended by the American Dental Association (ADA)that it should be performed during dental visits every six months to prevent excessive plaque buildup. Regular teeth cleaning sessions are one of the best ways Houston, TX residents can maintain the health of their teeth and gums. Tooth cleanings also help to reduce risks of developing other health problems. Plaque left untreated can lead to unhealthy gums and tooth decay which inadvertently leads to tooth loss and thousands incurred on restorative dental procedures like Dental Implant.
The Case for Bi-Annual Tooth Cleaning
Brushing and flossing daily has been the tried and true method for keeping your mouth healthy. However, no matter how often you brush and floss, plaque and tartar deposits can still build-up on your teeth. Plaque and tartar are bacterial colonies that attach to the tooth and secrete acids which destroy tooth structure and bone. Plaque is the soft white substance that builds-up on your teeth throughout the day. If you do not remove plaque in a timely manner, it hardens into calculus (tartar). Tartar is much more difficult to remove. A professional cleaning is the most effective way to remove these deposits and prevent future cavities and gum disease.
Undoubtedly, Brushing and Flossing alone is not Enough. While the Official recommendation by the ADA is dental Visit every 6 Months for check up. However, it does not necessarily mean a tooth cleaning has to be performed during every visit to the dentist. It is only Logical that individuals are different as some patients may require tooth cleaning every 6 months some might be a earlier at 3-4 months and some even annually depending on a number of factors personal to each individuals such as the genetics, bone and tooth structure and oral Hygiene.
Types of Tooth Cleaning
- A prophylaxis thoroughly cleans the teeth to help keep your teeth, gums and mouth in good health, and to prevent or halt the progression of periodontal disease. Prophylaxis is reserved for patients with healthy mouths. They may have a localized area of gingivitis, but no signs of periodontal disease and no heavy bleeding during probing or cleaning.
- A debridement is a procedure to remove thick or dense deposits on the teeth. Debridement is required when the tooth structures are deeply covered with plaque and calculus. Excessive plaque prevents the dentist from checking for decay, infections or gum disease. A debridement is not the same as a regular cleaning. This is usually done to allow better access and visibility for diagnosis and probing and to allow the gum inflammation to settle down prior to further treatment when a person has very heavy plaque or calculus.
- Scaling and polishing is usually done after a gross debridement if the patient has moderate to severe gingivitis. It is also performed in the early stages of periodontal disease. It is basically a fine-tuning to ensure removal of calculus under the gums and to get the patient on the road to health.
- Root planing, sometimes referred to as a “deep cleaning.”is treatment for mild to moderate generalized or advanced localized periodontal disease .If you have gum disease, you have calculus and tartar below the gum line, and that means you’ve not had a dental cleaning frequently enough. the tartar that’s building up above the gum line is slowly creeping down past the gum line. so, the gum doesn’t quite attach to the tooth directly. Antibiotic gels are used in conjunction with root planing to treat periodontal disease. They are often placed at the same appointment as root planing.
- Periodontal cleaning is a cleaning procedure performed to thoroughly clean the teeth. after periodontal treatment is completed. It is an important preventative dental treatment for retarding the progression of periodontal disease and gingivitis. “Perio” is performed at a frequency of at least three months to prevent further bone loss.
What Happens During A Tooth Cleaning
Routine dental checkups typically consist of teeth cleaning, Exam and Xrays. During tooth cleaning, the dentist aims to remove tarter, plaque, and stains that have accumulated on the surface of the teeth. During your teeth cleaning session, here is what you can expect to happen
- A physical exam
Before the actual cleaning process begins, they start with a physical exam of your entire mouth
- Removing plaque and tartar
Our dentist will use a handheld tool to remove hard calculus from tooth surfaces. If the amount of calculus in a patients mouth is minimal, a manual scaler will typically be used to remove deposits of tarter by simply scraping them off. For larger amounts of tarter, the dentist may use an ultrasonic scaler. Ultrasonic scaler is an electronic device that removes larger pieces of tarter using a gentle vibration, coupled with a stream of water.
- Polishing & Fluoride Application
Tooth polishing consists of polishing the tooth surface with a prophy cup, a small, rubber motorized cup attached to an abrasive polishing compound. The main polishing makes it more difficult for plaque to accumulate on the tooth surfaces, due to its new smooth texture. Polishing also gives the teeth a shiny, clean look. .Fluoride is a mineral that helps to strengthen the enamel, or outermost layer of teeth. It is crucial in resisting acid attacks that contribute to tooth decay. During a fluoride treatment, the dentist will apply the fluoride solution, which is usually a gel, rinse, or varnish. Fluoride comes in a wide range of flavors, such as mint, cherry, strawberry, and chocolate. This is To make the application of fluoride more pleasant.
Benefits of Regular Tooth Cleaning
Regular visits to your dentist for a teeth cleaning procedure can result in numerous benefits. Soda, coffee, wine, tea, and tobacco products can cause stains on the tooth surfaces. Stains affect the look of your smile and discolor them. Tooth cleaning helps to eliminate these stubborn stains for a whiter, brighter smile. Routine dental visits can also ensure the early detection of dental problems, including gum and bone disease. If you suffer from halitosis, or bad breath, a trip to the dentist may help reduce your symptoms.
Schedule A Free Consultation
One of Our Specialist Dentist will assess you and discuss your treatment plan with you. You will also receive a free Panoramic X-ray scan of your teeth. This gives the doctor a more in-depth look to develop a plan to give you the best results possible.
From General Dentistry to Cosmetic Dentistry, Keem Smile Dentistry Offers a WIde range of Restorative and Preventive Dental Services. Our Mission is to help you maintain a beautiful, healthy smile without causing a cavity in your pocket. These before-and-after photos show the results that many of our patients now enjoy. If you would like to learn more about how we an help you meet your needs, please contact us today. It will me a pleasure to Serve You.